Summer Recipe: “Cauli-Power” Psychedelic Pepper Pizza
I don’t know about you, but summer is my absolute favorite season.
From the BBQ’s to the beaches to outdoor movies, it’s a treat to get a heavy dose of Vitamin D.
These outings, while fun, often mean there are endless amounts of unhealthy (aka yummy) food on hand and in every direction. For a normal person this is a dream, but for someone like me who is on a strict diet, it can be a real temptation that is almost impossible to ignore.
I was recently invited to an outdoor movie screening and basically had a mini meltdown about what I could bring that was a. healthy, and b. something everyone else could eat, too! The struggle was real.
I realized there are two things most people love: pizza and cheetos. So I compromised with myself and brought my favorite paleo corn puffs from Lesser Evil Snacks, and whipped up a super fast recipe for cauliflower crust pizza. They were a hit!
I wanted to share this quick and easy recipe with my readers (even if they’re not paleo!) because it is simply too delicious not to share. For those that take a stab at it, let me know how it turns out!
“Cauli-Power Pyshedelic Pepper Pizza”
For the crust:
- 5-6 cups of store bought cauliflower rice;
- 1 egg, large;
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese, grated/shredded;
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning (basil, thyme, oregano);
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a round baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Measure 5-6 cups of store bought cauliflower rice. Transfer cauliflower rice on a prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove cooked cauliflower rice from the oven, transfer to a bowl lined with linen towel, and let cool for 5 minutes. Then squeeze the liquid out of the ball.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with dried herbs, salt and pepper. Add parmesan cheese and squeezed cauliflower and mix until combined.
- Line same baking sheet with new parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip with spatula and bake for a few more minutes.
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups of your choice of dairy free cheese or parmesan cheese.
- 1 medium green pepper;
- 1 medium red pepper;
- 1 medium yellow pepper;
- 4 slices of bacon.
- While the crust is still hot, top with dairy free cheese.
- Dice the green, red, and yellow peppers into small squares.
- Arrange the pepper in layers, alternating between colors until the entire crust is covered.
- Cook bacon until slightly underdone (lightly crisp). Crumble and place in the middle of the pizza.
- Put back in the oven, and cook for another 10-15 minutes or unles cheese is melted and bubbly.
Take the pizza out of the oven and set on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy with paleo ranch or low carb/sugar marinara!
Subscribe & Get your FREE Pre-Travel/Packing Check List
MAKE YOUR NEXT TRAVEL ADVENTURE STRESS FREE WITH OUR EXCLUSIVE CHECK LIST!